Monday 3 November 2014

A Mother's Battle

UK troops hand over Camp Bastion to Afghan forces, ending 13-year campaign

Defence secretary says mistakes were made in Afghanistan, where 453 British soldiers lost their lives fighting the Taliban.

I wrote this poem after I learned of the story of a Mother who fought the MOD for the right to fly into Camp Bastion before the hand over to kneel at the spot where her son lost his life.  She won, despite her deep loss.


Who was with you, my boy
When you drew your last breath
When you closed your eyes
To see no more

Who told you it’s ok
You are loved
You are safe
I’m here now, you can let go

Let go of life
Of hopes, dreams, plans and seeds
All dead now; in a box with your heart
All dead now; in a box with my heart

And what of me
As I rage and scream
The futility of sacrifice
Willingly given
By you, dear heart


What of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment